Galena Museum takes Model T to Baxter Springs High School

7-BaxterSchool-6212Machelle Smith | Baxter Springs

On Friday, November 7, Joe Douffet, Galena Mining and Historical Museum, took the 1919 Model T Touring car to Baxter Springs High School for Mr. Byrd and Mr. Yeargain’s American History classes. Mr. Clyburn organized the demonstration.
Mr. Douffet told the students that there was only one option available on the 1919 Model T, an electric start. The cost of the car was $500 and only came in black. Side curtains were available for the open car. The car was built in the River Rouge, Michigan plant.
When the car was built there were only 250 miles of paved road in the United States. The cars were shipped partially assembled by train to the dealerships across the nation. The dealer had to finish assembling the cars before they could be sold. They also came with a tool kit that included an adjustable wrench, open end wrenches, and screwdrivers.
Between the years of 1908 and 1927 all of the Model T’s had the same frame, it was made out of vanadium steel. The front axle was drop forged as a single piece of vanadium steel. The suspension was a transversely mounted semi-elliptical spring for each of the front and rear beam axles which allowed a great deal of wheel movement to cope with the dirt roads of time.
In 1919 the engine production figures for the fiscal year August 1, to July 31 were 521,600. The decline in production by about 120,00 from 1918 to 1919 was due to Ford’s war efforts. Since a large part of the cars produced went to the military the calendar year production was 827,245 which does not include the 1,300 that was shipped to Manchester, England, in late 1919.
The Model T did not come in annual models. The changes were implemented as they were developed.
The most significant change in 1919 was the addition of electrical starting equipment. In January, this option was only available on the closed cars. In the summer the option became available for the open models, trucks had to wait until 1921. This change required major modification to the engine.
In addition to the new cylinder block casting, with a modified front section to accommodate the generator mounting, a new transmission cover had to be made with provision for the starter motor. The flywheel was modified to accept a replaceable ring gear for the starter. The magneto field coil was modified by adding a notch to clear the starter gear assembly. A battery support bracket was bolted between the frame rails just to the rear of the gasoline tank. The starter switch was mounted near the driver’s left heel.
Now that Ford had a battery, new headlights were supplies which had two bulbs; one for the regular “bright” running lights, and the other a two-candlepower (C.P.) bulb for the “dim” lights. Both bulbs were of the single contact, six volt type. Non starter cars continued with the oil tail lamp. Oil side lamps were discontinued on the starter cars, but were standard equipment on the non-starter cars.
In 1919, demountable rims were offered as standard equipment on the closed cars, and as an option on the others after early production. These wheels and rims were manufactured by either Hayes or Kelsey, and used 30 by 3-1/2 tires all around.
For more information about the Ford Model T visit the Galena Mining and Historical Museum.

sentineltimes.com | Sentinel Times
Jake Schaffer crank starting the Model Tsentineltimes.com | Sentinel Times

Jake Schaffer crank starting the Model T

Share

Leave a Comment