Mr. Jordan I have no address for you other than you live in an adjoining state so I am placing this letter to you in the public domain.
I do not know you personally but you, your activities are widely discussed in the Cherokee County area. I understand you have made large sums of money operating a landfill operation in Galena, and have branched out into containerized removal services. I also understand you have made gifts of improvements to the City of Galena your host city for your landfill operations which may reflect some acknowledgement of the accommodation you have been given. I have no judgment regarding the relative value that the two bear to each other.
I am addressing you in regard to the current discussions regarding a proposed landfill in the community of Riverton, Kansas. I state up front I have no vested interest in that proposal. I live several miles from the location. However my personal sense of justice calls me to write this letter.
Parables might clearly reflect my thoughts. The first would be a gentleman who meets and shares time and a meal with a lady. After a period of time he invites her to a distant city to attend a cultural event be it a play, a sporting event, what have you. As the evening wears on he reveals he has made arrangement for lodging, and reveals he has reserved a single hotel room with a king size bed and either by communication or body language he displays his feeling he is owed some favor and consideration and if given more rewards lay in store.
From all outward indications and statements you, yourself have made publicly you have been very successful financially. You are now engaged in a debate regarding a proposed landfill that raises several questions.
1. There seems to be no current or future need for over 25 years for this project.
2. The selected location is clearly a bad choice on a real estate basis.
3. The only clear indication of the driving force to go forward with this project is the money you and the City of Galena hope to derive from the project.
4. The implementation of these plans will create for you a great financial benefit at the expense of an entire community:Families who have built homes and are raising children, a school district that has worked very hard to maintain high standards, a proud and productive community. All are residents and families who are no match for you, and the City of Galena’s power and apparent thirst for money.
5. The greed of this project will deeply impact over 900 children, and I have to ask for what? More money so you can make a token gift and go back to where ever you live?
My second illustration comes from the Bible in the Second Book of Samuel Chapter 12. The setting was after King David engineered the murder of Uriah to cover up the fact he had seduced his wife and she conceived a child when her husband was away on military duties in service of David the King.
And the Lord sent Nathan to David. He came to him and said to him “There were two men in certain city, the one was rich and the other poor. The rich man had very many flocks and herds, but the poor man had nothing but one little ewe lamb, which he had bought. And he brought it up, and it grew up with him and his children, it used to eat of his table, and drink from his cup, and lie in his bosom, and it was like a daughter to him. Now there came a traveler to the home of the rich man, and he was unwilling to take one of his own flock or herd to prepare for the wayfarer who had come to him, but he took the poor man’s lamb and prepared it for the man who had come to him. Then David’s anger was greatly kindled against the man and he said to Nathan, “as the Lord lives the man who has done this deserves to die, and he shall restore the lamb four fold, and because he has no pity.”
Nathan said to David, “you are that man. Thus, says the Lord of God of Israel “I anointed you king over Israel,……I gave you your master’s house, and your master’s wives to your bosom. …..I would add to you much more. ….Why have you done evil?
Mr. Jordan, I ask you to look into the faces of the community you will destroy, look at the children whose homes are the length of a football field from the ultimate toxic fumes from this proposed project whose only justification is to create more wealth to your present “many flocks”. Is the game worth the candle?
July 26, 2014